On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 20:28:41 -0500
Matei David <ma...@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm interested in keeping two encfs folders in sync. One option is to
| run rsync/unison between the plaintext folders. I would like to have
| the additional option of performing sync on the ciphertexts.
|
| >From the tests that I ran, it seems to me that this is only possible if
| uniqueIV is set to 0 in the configuration file. Whenever this is set to
| 1, the ciphertexts of two identical plaintext folders seem to be
| different. To clarify, my tests consisted of running this script while
| tweaking various parameters inside encfs6.xml.

Just copy the folder from one to the other.

Don't worry about the separate encryptions being different, that is just
a randomization of the keys (Salt or UniqueIV) to make cracking harder.

I use unison to synchronise the encrypted files of a encfs file-systems
between three systems, no problems.

Others I know do the same via a DropBox.

What I would recommend is using some system that keeps the .encfs6.xml
separated from encrypted files. Transfer it separately to machines that
are 'allowed' to access the encrypted data.

Now while this file only contains public parts of the encryption, why
give that file to 'crackers'?  Without it it becomes even harder to
'crack' an encryption.

I treat it a bit like a 'second key'.   I not only need my pass phrase,
But I also need that file, to access my encrypted filesystem.

Look at the encfs environment variable ENCFS6_CONFIG

Unfortunately may of the encfs apps doesn't let you separate the config
from the encrypted data.

For some raw hints and tips on using EncFS see
  http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/info/crypto/encfs.hints

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <a.thys...@griffith.edu.au>
  All of us have violent instincts. We have evolved from predators.
  Well not me of course, I've just been programmed by you predators.
                                            The Doctor -- StarTrek Voyager
   Anthony's Castle     http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/