Hi Bill,

> I Write to create a message, then in "Options" there is a drop down that
> has options to select Encryption and Digitally signing. I select
> Encryption

bingo. That Options menu is NOT from Enigmail, that's from Thunderbird itself.
The Encryption/Signing settings there are not about OpenPGP but S/MIME.
If you enable encryption there but have no X.509 certificate of all receipients
installed in Thunderbird Certificate manager, Thunderbird will complain upon
sending.

> then click the "Enigmail" and there is a drop down  that says "Message
> will be encrypted"

That is a different story. If you enabled "convenient" encryption in Enigmail
and it found a key for all receipients, then the Compose windows shows that it
is (conveniently) enrypted. This setting (and the corresponding icon at bottom
right) have nothing to do with S/MIME.

Thus, if you would also have an S/MIME cert for your receipients, your message
would be double-encrypted (S/MIME _and_ OpenPGP)!

> If you click that you have the option to "Force Encryption" and that seems
> to be the only way I can send encrypted messages.

No. You should just not enable Options->Encryption, then you'll be fine. If you
force encryption and it works then, you probably found a bug: it is likely that
there is some code that disables S/MIME encryption when OpenPGP encryption is
manually set. If do, that bit of code should be adjusted to either also work on
convenient encryption or not at all.

>> Are you sure this is Enigmail/OpenPGP and not S/MIME? The term
>> "certificate" is more often used there.
> The Screen shows both Enigmail and S/MIME. I have both a certificate for
> S/MIME from Commodo and a OpenPGP created fron Kleopatra.

To send something encryptedly to someone, you need the keys/certificates of that
receipient, not just your own key/cert. To be able to digitally sign, you need
your own cert/key. In theory, you can send encrypted messages without having an
own key/cert. Most mail clients will complain however since you would not be
able to read your own messages after sending them.

>> You are referring to a key with a fully qualified UID, not just a
>> domain?
> Don't understand the question. However, I have a personal and public key
> and have the public keys for the people I am sending to and these show up
> in the list when I click Key management.

With fully qualified UID I meand that the key may be referred to using the email
address of its owner. There are keys without any name or email address in them.
But the issue is clear from the first paragraph anyway.

>> OK. To investigate, it might help if you sent your
>> %appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles\<profilename>\pgprules.xml to /me/.

>> You could also enable debugging in advanced options, restart TB,
>> reproduce the error and finally send by enforcing, close TB and send
>> <debug-dir>/ enigdbug.txt to /me/ (prune personal information you don'
>> want to share).

Not necessary any more.

Olav
- --
The Enigmail Project - OpenPGP Email Security For Mozilla Applications