In enigmail 1.7 and Thunderbird 31.0 :

I received a message showing the enigmail blue header 'Part of the message
signed, click on Details .....'
Details showed the security info option and also options to :

View Key Properties
Sign Sender's key
Set owner's trust ...

I tried the 'View Key properties' and nothing happened, not even an error
message.  I then opened enigmail's key management and sure enough, I didn't have
the sender's key on my keyring.

But, this is the strange part for me, I tried the 'sign sender's key' and 'set
owner's trust' and they both seemed as though they were going to work - they
opened up the appropriate dialog boxes.  I didn't continue .. it seemed wrong to
sign a key that one does not have.

Enigmail offered no option connected to the email concerned to import the
missing key.   I know I could have done so from key manager.

When I checked the enigmail preferences, keyserver tab, I did not have any
keyserver address noted in the automatic download field.  When I put a keyserver
address there, and restarted thunderbird, the 'View key properties' option
worked correctly - the key had been downloaded.

It seems to me that it would be more logical, where the keyserver is not
nominated in 'preferences', and the key is not on the keyring, to do the
following :

1. not to offer the 'view key properties' option - to gray it out.
2. to gray out both the signing option and the trust setting option
3. to provide an option to import the key.

or alternatively :

1. when 'view key properties' fails to find the key, offer an error message
saying that the key is not present in the keyring and providing an option to
import it
2. to gray out both the signing option and the trust setting option until such
time as the key exists in the keyring.