On 2/5/15 1:03 PM, Ludwig Hügelschäfer wrote:
On 05.02.15 21:02, Doug Barton wrote:

What you're proposing will create a whole new set of support
problems, starting with the return of "You must use the packaged
version!" on Linux, and similar platforms.

No, this requirement will not start the "You must use the packaged
version" case again. This will get into a "either use the packaged
version or install gpg2".

Sure, but those problems are roughly equivalent. IMO you(pl.) are dramatically underestimating the number of users who are still on 1.x, and would be quite shocked/dismayed at having to switch.

We are used to it by now, but even with the socket version of gpg-agent it's a non-trivially different method of operation.

So user convenience/benefit/etc. aside, is the Enigmail team ready
to take on the support cost of what you propose? We have seen
several requests for additional help for the team in recent months,
have your numbers swelled so greatly that this is no longer an
issue?

The rush of support for a not working gpg-agent (especially on Linux)
has declined really significantly, both here and on gpg-users. I think
the distributions now do a very good job in implementing this right.

Again, I think you're underestimating the transition difficulty.

Concerning user base: We've 51% windows and 7% Mac OS users, both of
which have a very good working gpg2 packages with installers working
out of the box (and will be installed by the setup wizard). The
remaining 42% Linux users can be said "apt-get gpg2" and it will work.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/enigmail/statistics/?
last=365

I don't think the support for linux users to install gpg2 will
overwhelm us.

So my disagreement with your analysis aside, isn't the better question the one I posed in my message (which you snipped)? There is no question that making this change will be an inconvenience to some users (whether the number is high as I believe, or low as you seem to believe), and will create _some_ support burden. Is the code to support 1.x in Enigmail really *that* difficult to work with/work around that it justifies taking on these burdens now, rather than some time down the road when more people have already transitioned?

Doug