On 14/03/15 15:22, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> On 13.03.15 20:06, Philip Jackson wrote:

>>> I'm trying to reproduce it, but so far didn't succeed. What are
>>> your account settings and other rules when this happens?
>>>

>> My account settings on OpenPGP Security : enable PGP support, Use
>> specific PGP key, sign by default, PGP/MIME by default, sign non
>> encrypted messages, sign encrypted messages, encrypt draft messages
>> on saving.
>
>> Nothing set under account settings Security.
>
>> Enigmail preferences / Sending = Convenient encryption settings,
>> Key Selection : By Per-recipient, By email addresses
>
>> For this to happen when writing an email :
>
>> 1. Thunderbird preferences/Composition/General : check autosave
>> (every 5 minutes), confirm when using keyboard shortcuts, check for
>> missing attachments 2. 'To' field in email must be red.  This
>> happens at random for any given email address but I can provoke it
>> by breaking the address.  (I assumed the red indicated that
>> Thunderbird considered the address broken ) 3.  The 'To' field must
>> have an entry 4. The enigmail setting for that email must be 'sign
>> only'
>
>> Then just sit and wait for five minutes while checking the enigmail
>> toolbar button from time to time.
>
> I still cannot reproduce it. Could you send me a debug log file (menu
> Enigmail > Debugging Options > View Log)?

sent to you at your address.

Apart from the Thunderbird peculiarity of turning the address field red (even
though the address is already in my address book since years), it looks like the
tick box flips from 'sign' to 'encrypt' when Thunderbird auto-saves a copy of
the mail being prepared for sending.

Unless the sender actually clicks on the enigmail button in the enigmail toolbar
and also clicks on ok, this autosave process doesn't actually affect the final
email status when it is sent.  If it was originally 'sign' only, that is the way
it gets sent.  The encrypt only affects the auto-backup, as far as I can tell.

So in practice, it is unlikely to impose any major problem, I would think.

Philip