On 28/03/15 20:30, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I quite like the Keepass approach.
>
> But it's not clear to me that this will work, at least for the versions
> of pinentry i've seen that grab the input devices (i'm seeing this on
> X11, at any rate).  In this case, I don't think there is a way to
> trigger keepass to get it to type into the pinentry dialog.
>
> What platforms as this approach been tested on?

I used KeePass2 on WindowsXP and 7 for some years and the autotype with 2
channel obfuscation worked very well as did the selection and inclusion of the
various dialog boxes that would require auto-completion with either username and
password or just password according to the case.  This included the pinentry
boxes.

KeePass2 wipes the clipboard after a delay which can be set by the user.

When I moved from Windows to UbuntuStudio 14.04, I tried KeePassX which was in
the distro as standard but it seemed to me more limited so I went back to
KeePass2 and had quite a bit of trouble to get the autotype working although the
KeePass website does have some info.  The difficulty was linked to the
dependence on mono.

It still doesn't work in the same easy fashion that I had with Windows7 and I
can't get a system wide keyboard shortcut for autotype to work at all.  Nor can
I get the KeePass2 shortcut of Ctrl-V to do the autotype but a rightclick
followed by a left click on the dropdown list does work ok.

(I noticed a Ubuntu software update a few days ago included some stuff on mono.
 Today, I have found that my keyboard numeric pad no longer works inside
KeePass2 and I'm wondering if the two events are connected.)

Philip