On 09/19/15 23:06, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> (Forgive the HTML: this is one of the few times where I think it’s
> worthwhile.  This email uses color to convey information.)
>
> So, while relaxing with a good stogie, I started mulling over the UX
> problem of communicating information about encryption status,
> signatures, validity, and more.  I got nowhere, which is when I decided
> to burn it all down and start from a clean sheet of paper.

And very successfully.  Sometimes the clean sheet of paper is exactly
what's needed.  I like this suggestion a lot.  It is simple,
unambiguous, and readable at a glance.  Any further information wanted
by more technically sophisticated users can be obtained by clicking the
item of interest to see more details.

I would suggest one slight extension to the scheme:  The indicators
should be tri-state, not binary.  Add a red error state as well as a
green 'OK' state and the black 'not present' state.  A message which is
signed, but by a key that does not match the declared sender, or by a
revoked key, would display red Identity.  A message which has been
signed but the signature does not match the content (i.e, the content
has been altered post-signature) would display red for Authenticity.

A Privacy red-flag is a little harder to quantify.  About the only case
I can think of is if a message is encrypted, but with a key that has
been revoked or does not match the claimed sender.  But this should
probably be considered an Authenticity failure.

Should a message that is encrypted but unsigned be considered an
Authenticity failure - or at least an authenticity warning?

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications