On 23/09/2015 10:07, Ludwig Hügelschäfer wrote:
> On 23.09.15 10:53, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> ... unless the key was revoked because it was compromised.
>>
>> The Details box tells me that part of it was signed by an
>> untrusted good signature from Douglas Barton.
>>
>> OK - I understand - I think.  But a new user?  Part of the
>> message? What part?
>
> Enigmail shows the following markers:
>
> | ********* *BEGIN ENCRYPTED or SIGNED PART* ********* | (...) |
> ********** *END ENCRYPTED or SIGNED PART* **********

I've seen similar, though I can't recall exactly how/where :-)  Call it
a senior moment.  Anyway, I read in Thunderbird, and what I see is the
attached.  (If the attachment is too big I'll put it elsewhere - I don't
have much in the way of image editing installed.)

> Anything between is part of the signature. Anything else is not
> protected by the OpenPGP-signature (including the message headers!).
>
>> Why part?
>
> Because the mailing list software automatically adds the following
> footer:
>

> This is not part of Dougs message when sent and therefore cannot be
> part of his signature.

Makes sense.  In the older times I have seen some mailing list footers
completely invalidate signatures.  On one mailing list I stopped signing
because over and over people asked why they were seeing "bad signature".

Anne