On 11/25/2015 11:30 AM, Dkjfffkjk Dfpernf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today one of my devices which contains the KeepassX password for
> my PGP key got bricked.
>
> Luckily I have another device (Ubuntu 15.04) which has the
> password saved when I start the session (login to my user). I can
> restart the computer and still read encrypted passwords after.

I would setup a semetric encrypted password file in your home
directory which is /home/user/  To do this use your favorite text
editor like emacs which will open an encrypted file and ask for your
passpharse.

I use the unix standard of : as a field separator.

# File Format

login:password:host name:Company Name:Account Number:Phone

Of course you can setup you own password file to meet your own needs.

After you have created your password file you need to encrypt it.
gpg -esc passwd
which will produce a signed, encrypted passwd.gpg along with the
original unencrypted passwd file.

Before removing the unencrypted try to open the encrypted file.
gpg -d passwd.gpg | less

You will be asked for your passphrase.

After you have varified that you can open and read your encrypted
password file you can remove your original unencrypted file.

As a paranoid old man I use the shred application which will overwrite
the original file.  I use this especially on laptops which can be
stollen or lost.

> It does not seem to be using gpg-agent nor pinentry. There is no
> program called 'pinentry' and here are the programs beginning with
> gpg:
>
> gpg, gpgsplit, gpgv, gpg-zip
>
> $ echo $GPG_AGENT_INFO /run/user/1002/keyring/gpg:0:1
>
> But that file is 0 bytes and I cannot do anything with it.
>
> extensions.enigmail.useGpgAgent is false

Your pinentry program is probably located in /usr/bin/
You can use either locate or whereis to find your pinentry program.

> How is the password being stored?

/home/username/.gnupg/secring.gpg

In this directory there is also your public ring and your config files.

> And how can I recover or change the password?

gpg --edit-key 0x12345678

You can change the passphrase, can sign somes public key, and add sub
keys.

Though enigmail hides a lot of the details about gnupg, the more you
read about keys, algorithms, and etc. the more you will appreciate the
hard work that was put into gunpg and enigmail.

> I can still read encrypted emails so it is somewhere in my
> computer.
I hope that this helps you and make sure you backup your systems.  I
use cron at 2AM everymorning to backup my systems.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:le...@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                                                   > ^ <
                       Cell Phone:  267-307-3527

See My posts on facebook and googleplus

Open PGP Key:     C34B77CC
gpg fingerprint:  8AD5 35EF 1FDF F1A7 E483  8CCE A50D 4E81 C34B 77CC

For info on enigmail:    http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/