indeed you can; available optione on [gpg2]:

--export-secret-keys [ names ], --export-secret-subkeys [ names ]

And you can export secret keys from key management in Enigmail easily to
import to another instance. Indeed you should export the stuff and have
a real backup (meaning not on a computer, multiple encrypted copies
help) of your keys anyway; best the revokation certificate as well in case.

Actually subkeys and/or combination with a hardware token [PGP
SmartCard] are an alternative for especially mobile devices (more
vulnerable, easily lost, …).

see also "SmartCard" on the Enigmail Menu

[gpg2]: https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manpage.en.html
[PGP SmartCard]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP_card