> I have Thunderbird with enigmail on three machines and I just saved the
> private/Public keys onto a USB and installed them on the two other
> machines and set the same settings for use. Never worried about
> config/agent etc, and all works just fine.

You didn't copy your trustdb file, which means GnuPG had no way of
knowing your private certificate should have implicit trust attached to
it, which means all your trust calculations were (maybe still are) off.

Now, maybe you edited the certificate later and manually set the trust
level.  But it isn't true that you can just import a private cert into a
new environment and have things work correctly.