I fear that that's likely to happen. A measure against the Efail
vulnerability was to disable decryption of messages that have no MDC
protection.

It's fairly possible that old messages (using old algorithms) have no
MDC protection - but there is no way out. You'd risk to be attacked
_very_ easily otherwise as the Efail paper clearly explains.

I strongly suggest that you only read such old mails on the command line
- there is no sensible safeguarding possible in Enigmail.

-Patrick

(CC-ing the Enigmail Mailing list, as I consider this important info for
many other users too)