On 08.09.18 00:34, Patrick Chkoreff wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> It still begs the question of why I can't Set Owner Trust on a newly
>> imported key.
>
> I fiddled around some more.  This time I SIGNED the key, telling a lie
> by saying that I had checked it very carefully.  Then when I
> right-clicked on the key the "Set Owner Trust" option appeared under
> "Sign Key" where it usually appears for all other keys in my key ring.

That's right. Enigmail does no more allow to set owner trust to not
signed keys. You need to understand the concepts:

* Key Signing: How well do you know the owner of the key
* Owner trust: How well do you rely on keys signed by a person (i.e.
Alice signs Bob's key; how much do you trust that Alice did correctly
verify Bob's identity).

If you don't want to trust all keys automatically, you need to sign
them. Setting the owner trust to "ultimate" is the wrong thing.
Conceptually you can't set the owner trust of a key if you didn't check
the owner's identity.

-Patrick