Patrick Brunschwig wrote on 09/08/2018 11:00 AM:

> You need to understand how the implementation of the Web of Trust works
> in GnuPG. This is nothing to blame on Enigmail. Read here to understand
> the web of trust: https://wiki.gnupg.org/WebOfTrust

I understand the web of trust, but thank you for the excellent reference.

There is nothing in my post which blames Enigmail for anything, nor was
there any whinging involved.  All I did was identify a simple procedural
fact:  In order to encrypt to a particular key, I must first sign that
key, affirming that I have check its identity very carefully.

The entire question of what it means to check the identity of a key is
beyond the scope of Enigmail/GPG, and at no time did I blame Enigmail
for posing that challenge to me.

In my particular case, I received a key from a complete stranger who I
will never meet and whose key is not signed by anyone I trust.  I don't
view that as a problem at all.  I simply sign the key and affirm that I
have checked its identity.  All that means is that whenever I correspond
with that individual, I can be sure it is the SAME individual who
originally sent me the key.  That's all I actually care about, and is
why I brought up the analogy with ssh's "trust on first use."  I could
bootstrap an entire working relationship with this individual lasting
years based only on that initial event.

Again, my post was in no way a complaint.  It was simply a process of
discovery.  Yes there were a few snarks such as "white lie," but
honestly I have no complaint about the way Enigmail/GPG works.

-- Patrick