On Mon 2018-10-29 14:50:57 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 17:42, patr...@enigmail.net said:
>
>> but when I find older versions. You obviously can't fix this by creating
>> a new release ;-). Things like "missing MDC" messages for CAST5.
>
> I see.  I general I think it is better to force the use of a current
> versions and not to support old versions.  OTOH, I know that it is a
> problem on Unix where the dtsribution might still run a (patched) old
> versions and you can't easily detect whether that one is up to date.

at some point, though, it really is useful to require a minimum version.
Enigmail can't be expected to ship an indefinite "portability layer" for
all past versions of GnuPG forever.

So the question is: how far back must it go?  What would the changes
look like if we were to write a new enigmail that depended explicitly on
GnuPG >= 2.2.10?

I've done some of that work for debian stable, where several bugfixes
and minor features will be backported to the heavily-patched version of
2.1.18 that ships there, in order to support modern enigmail.

having a functional test suite in enigmail really helps this process,
fwiw, because you can run it against different versions of GnuPG and see
what breaks.

     --dkg