On 20.03.19 17:33, Emil Marklund wrote:

> Hello

Hello Emil

> Enigmail started generating new keys for email accounts where I had no
> local key. I already have a key for my accounts, which is uploaded to a
> lot of key servers. But I don't want to spread my private key to every
> computer I use, due to security concerns.

By default, if you're using Enigmail in Enigmial/pEp mode, key pairs are
generated per-account.

> I removed the newly generated keys since I don't want to confuse my
> contacts with a myriad of keys. I want some accounts to not have any
> private keys - I don't need to be able to decrypt and sign emails from
> every computer - sometimes insecure emails are sufficient.

The approach of pEp here is to automatically engage in end-to-end
encryption whenever possible and to generate keys if not available for
that (privacy-by-default approach) -- that is assuming most people don't
even have a notion of the term "key" (like with messengers).

> But since I removed the keys Enigmail generated, Enigmail regenerated
> even more keys which it happely appended to my emails without my
> knowledge confusing people even more.
>
> How do I configure Enigmail to not generate keys? It would make sense
> for Enigmail to check if there is a publicly announced key for an
> account before making the assumption that you need moar keys.

There's not yet a fine-grained setting to define that per-account and
there's also no remote lookups being done to key servers by default;
also no keys are uploaded to key servers automatically.

For now, to do the kind of controls you want, you would need to disable
pEp, which is done in the privacy settings of Thunderbird.

Example for a Windows box:

https://pep.foundation/static/media/uploads/blog/force-enigmail-classic.png

Greets

Hernani