Onno Ekker wrote on 06.01.2021 20:03:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little confused about still getting updates for Enigmail on
> Thunderbird 78. Today I noticed an upgrade to version Enigmail 2.2.4.1.
>
> I was under the assumption that Enigmail stopped working with
> Thunderbird 78, because XUL overlay extensions were dropped and that you
> don't need it anymore, because of integrated support for OpenPGP.
>
> So why is there still a new version for Thunderbird 78? What's the added
> value for having both integrated OpenPGP and the Enigmail extension?

As explained in [1], there is an assistant to help you migrating your
keys and settings from GnuPG/Enigmail to TB 78. I wrote that piece of
software and labelled it Enigmail 2.2, such that existing users of
Enigmail can smoothly migrate to TB 78 without needing to install
something manually.

Not surprisingly, every piece of software needs some maintenance from
time to time -- that's why you got an update. As long as you don't
uninstall Enigmail, you can expect to receive updates to it from time to
time.

-Patrick

[1]
https://admin.hostpoint.ch/pipermail/enigmail-users_enigmail.net/2020-August/005700.html