* Peter Hyman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 17:09 +0100, till varoquaux wrote:
> > The themes are not harcoded they are selected in the configuration file
> > /etc/entrance.edb.
> > You can edit this file with edb_gtk_ed.
> > Have fun,
> > Till
>
> That's my point. Maybe they shouldn't be in the db file. Why can't a
> user or sysadmin specify entranced -t todaystheme.eet to override the db
> file. Let's be honest. Working with edb files is not really easy. For a
> product like entrance, a plain text file configuration setup would make
> more sense. That way, it would be consistent with gdm, kdm, etc.

Consistency with other people is a weak goal, dms consistently suck and look
the same, entrance is different.

As for entranced -t todaystheme.eet that's on the plate and what's been
discussed in recent weeks between xcomp and myself.  The config will be
unified between the two applications(entranced & entrance) using
ecore_config.  entranced will support command line options for things that
make sense for the daemon, and entrance will support command line options
for things that make sense for the client.  Moving to text files does not
solve cli arg requests.

We're pending the addition of list functionality to ecore_config, we're not
going to go do something "in the meantime."  What's there has worked fine
for sometime, if we change it, it'll be for the better.

> > P.S.:
> > TEST your configurations before rebooting.(entrance -T)
> > If the theme file is wrong entrance will  respawn endlessly making your
> > consoles unusable
> > (I hope you have a network access handy or else...).
Or you learn how to boot to single user mode, it's a very useful exercise.
You can then disable it from starting up on your next boot, fix the problem,
and be back on your feet.

The respawning shouldn't be an issue, but hey it's still under development.
:)  We need better checks for successive failures and stop after a sane
amount of repeated failures.

> Yes, for example, I put in theme without an eet extension and blam! The
> program should at least infer an .eet extension when there is none. It
> should not be required for a theme. Or, if the theme is not found, just
> load the default.
Falling back to the default is sane in that situation, but inferring .eet
extension isn't.

> > Peter Hyman wrote:
> >
> > >Starting entranced automatically launches entrance.
> > >
> > >However, there is no ability to pass any entrance command line options.
> > >
> > >It would be nice to allow at least -t themename.eet so that entrance can
> > >launch a user-selected theme instead of the hard coded one.
since users can't launch entranced, root must, "user-selected" doesn't
really apply.  I do like the idea of on the fly theme switching though.

while we're sorta on the topic of root, privilege separation has been on the
plate for a while, anyone up for that ? :D

> > >As a corollary, it would be nice to be able to change themes on the fly
> > >from the entrance window.
This is in the plans for future development. :)

Thanks for the input peter.

__
Corey Donohoe
http://www.atmos.org