I like wikis but it depends very much on the people behind them. Wikis provide a more formal format than forums and offer a better presentation in my opinion. Personally I hate digging through forums and mailing archives. A wiki allows you to present important discussions and detailed issues in a more organized format.

A wiki fills a certain gap with documentation. Questions such as "Why the binary config format?" and others that deserve a full answer supported by different opinions is best presented by a wiki. This could go in the FAQ but to do full justice to the question it would span quite a bit of the FAQ. There are other fundamental design issues that ought to go into a wiki sort of format to preserve their importance and maintain a logical argument for their existence. With the forum/mailing system these issues are quickly lost in the past and inevitably arise again when someone new (or forgetful) brings up the same issue.

Anyhow, for an example of a well developed wiki see:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org

I did some wiki experiments a while ago; here are a few of my reactions:
TikiWiki - Full featured but a bit cluttered looking and complex, well
known and has a large community
MediaWiki - Clean and Stable but lacking some features such as file
upload other than pictures (wikipedia)
Kwiki - A simple clean wiki, modular design
DokuWiki - Another wiki designed for documentation that has a nice clean
feel

Not Recommended:
Phpwiki - Seemed a bit buggy and I've seen errors from sites that use
phpwiki, not particularly feature full anyway
MoinMoin - A bit harder to install because its python based, I found
some design quirks annoying, not all that bad though, just not great.

Arlo