On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:52:51 -0400 Jose O Gonzalez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> [BTW - recall that in general there's no constraint relating
> the geometry of a smart object to the visible geometrical extent
> of its member objects]
>
>       It's a nice idea, and would likely go far to solve the
> problem you're facing (something like this is already done
> if the member objects have no callbacks set on them). But I
> wonder how well it will work without the smart objects also
> being able to "feed" events, etc.. ie, without their full
> support for the general event mechanisms.
>
>       I believe that these kinds of issues will continue
> to crop up unless the underlying model around smart objects
> gets a clear and consistent semantics - internally, for many
> of the general object related functions, smart objects are
> functionally just 'not there'.
>
>       Smart objects attempt to span a large spectrum between
> simple "container" or "group" like structures, and something
> like a full "sub-canvas" structure.. and to do so as actual
> canvas objects. Not an easy task.
>
>       Given an evas, one can have "evas-objects", ie. an object
> of the given evas from which one can obtain another 'underlying'
> evas (one which you would not need to get/set any engine info
> structure) and add whatever evas primitives to that 'sub-evas',
> etc.. Such an evas-object will display its sub-evas on the
> initial given evas. But the objects of that sub-evas are not
> 'actually' objects of the initial given evas. By contrast, the
> members of smart-objects (of a given evas) 'are' objects of the
> given evas.
>
>       I have the feeling that unless smart-objects adopt most
> of the semantics that is used in window systems (in dealing with
> the parent/child relationship), it is likely that they will
> continue to be 'problematic' in one sense or another, for
> someone or other's needs or expectations.. :(

indeed smart objects need work. recent ddiscussions with simon, hisham and
brian have come to the agreement they need a reworking interllalyl - as
discussed. putthing child objects literally as children of the smart object.
and so on. this should solve a lot of hacks. smart object coudl do with being
able to intercept events befotre going to a child and transform/modify the
event, deny it going to a child or pass it through etc. we need to take a look
at smart objects again. ,maybe we need a new kind of smart objects that is mroe
extensive? there's a lot fo work we can do to evas. if thats all i had on my
plate i would have done it a long time ago! :)

unforutnately (for evas) it has reached that "it's good enough" stage where
incentive is low compared to the priority of other work... we should work on
this together though. i am taking notes :)

裸好多                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)