On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:02:42 +0900 Carsten writes:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:52:51 -0400 Jose O Gonzalez
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> >     I have the feeling that unless smart-objects adopt most
> > of the semantics that is used in window systems (in dealing with
> > the parent/child relationship), it is likely that they will
> > continue to be 'problematic' in one sense or another, for
> > someone or other's needs or expectations.. :(
>
> indeed smart objects need work. recent ddiscussions with simon,
> hisham and
> brian have come to the agreement they need a reworking interllalyl -
> as
> discussed. putthing child objects literally as children of the smart
> object.
> and so on. this should solve a lot of hacks. smart object coudl do
> with being
> able to intercept events befotre going to a child and
> transform/modify the
> event, deny it going to a child or pass it through etc. we need to
> take a look
> at smart objects again. ,maybe we need a new kind of smart objects
> that is mroe
> extensive? there's a lot fo work we can do to evas. if thats all i
> had on my
> plate i would have done it a long time ago! :)
>
> unforutnately (for evas) it has reached that "it's good enough"
> stage where
> incentive is low compared to the priority of other work... we should
> work on
> this together though. i am taking notes :)
>
> --

        Let me sharply critical here.

        Unfortunately for many other libs and apps, if evas is the
graphics engine they use, it's important to get it more than just
"good enough" -- as they will later find themselves stuck in the
situation where what was good enough earlier is not quite good
enough anymore.. What then?

        There are general patterns here, going beyond anything to
do with evas in particular, that lead to such things recurring
again and again... hampering the potential growth and development
of "e" in the larger sense.

        If "e" aims to be a "gui platform" of some sort, say eg.
a "desktop shell", then it needs to take a serious look at its
foundations.. its subsystems...
        It needs to build these, and build from these, in a
systematic and coherent manner... and it needs to support
and facilitate all the 'standards' that people expect to have
these days.

        Unless this is done, e will never scale much besides
constituting a handful of very nice special-purpose programs
like a window manager, a graphical terminal, a login manager,
... programs that, sooner rather than later, 'others' will be
able to duplicate in "coolness", and do so within the context
of a much more comprehensive framework.

        E will lead the way, in various gui related ideas, thanks
mostly to the tremendous creative talents and skill of a certain
nameless individual.. but it will never keep that lead for long,
or be able to capitalize on it.

        Jose.