Phuah Yee Keat wrote:
> Ibukun Olumuyiwa wrote:
>
>> If I understand correctly, this patch was written for Slackware? If so I
>> can't take it...what we would want is a script that at least covers most
>> of the major distros (Debian, Mandriva, Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo,
>> Slackware) and understands how each of them stores X sessions. For
>> example, Mandriva does not use .desktop files to store sessions - it
>

> The codes that I have submitted, are written on slackware, but the
> method that I have used, are based on what KDM does. And KDM is the
> Login Manager that I previously used and pretty much pleased with when
> using it on a Mandrake/Redhat and Slackware box. It seems to pick out
> the sessions correctly.
>
> I do not have other distros at my disposal, so its hard for me to come
> out with a solution that covers other major distros, as the
> type=Xsession .desktop files are not yet as standardized as those
> type=Application .desktop files. That's the difference between KDM and
> GDM as well, KDM provides its own .desktop files for the major window
> managers, so that it doesn't much care whether your system uses .desktop
> files or not. GDM attempts to look for .desktop files on your systems on
> some configurable paths. Personally, I prefered the KDM method, even
> after some objections from Mr Morten. :) Since its effective and easy to
> maintain across different distributions, albeit not pretty.
>
> Slackware have no .desktop files as well, stuffs are in
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.XXX that needs to be configured by the
> administrator, and is used by everyone on the system, and hence is not
> very login manager friendly, but KDM's method worked fine over here.
>
>> keeps entries under /etc/X11/wmsession.d/. This is probably much better
>> done as a script that determines the system's linux distribution,
>> obtains the X sessions accordingly, and outputs a session list that can
>> then be compiled into the configuration at build time.
>

> I do not like the script generating session list idea, since that means
> that after a window manager is installed/uninstalled, the script will
> then need to be run to regenerate the session list. I still personally
> prefers to have our own set of .desktop files (at least until the major
> window managers have them, fluxbox still doesn't the last I checked) and
> try to see which one is installed by checking each one's TryExec
> parameter. If not, we would then need the Window Manager's installation
> scripts to run these scripts, which then have all the distros checking
> stuffs again in all the rpm, deb, and tgzs of the window manager's
> packages and installation scripts.
>
> Cheers,
> Phuah Yee Keat

Does GDM use the same .desktop files that KDM uses? If so then perhaps
this is something that can be standardized upon. The lack of a standard
way of storing sessions is the reason why this feature isn't there in
the first place. Although, ideally, I would still prefer a scenario in
which Entrance could automatically determine how sessions are stored on
any one system and build its config accordingly.

--

Ibukun Olumuyiwa
http://xcomputerman.com

"I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower,
and will watch to see what he will say unto me,
and what I shall answer when I am reproved."