On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:48:53PM +0100, Fran?ois Chenais wrote:
// Eric Sandall wrote:
// >
// >On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
// >
// >>On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:59:27 -0800 (PST) Eric Sandall
// >><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:
// >>
// >>>On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Aleksej Struk wrote:
// >>>
// >>>>The feature is still under development. Actually, the unlocking
// >>>>through the user system wide password will be implemented too.
// >>>>For now, the personal desklock password is, more or less, a temporal
// >>>>feature.
// >>>
// >>><snip>
// >>>
// >>>As I'm not the one coding this I probably don't have much input ;),
// >>>but IMO the only password allowed should be the already setup user
// >>>password, not Yet Another Password that the user has to define and
// >>>remember (though they could use the same password as their account
// >>>password, but then that opens up 'security' issues with who gets
// >>>access to where this password is stored, is it encrypted, etc.).
// >>
// >>
// >>the problem is - to handle the "user password" is a massive pain in
// >>the arse. you need to use PAM or getpwent() and this presents some
// >>serious problems. what if your user account details live in an ldap
// >>db? sure - pam wraps this and handles it, but now we bind ourselves to
// >>pam - which is a bit problematic to use in a portable way even between
// >>linux distributions.
// >>
// >>also note - this is no worse than leaving your desktop unlocked and
// >>someone walking by and going "rm -rf ~/*" in a terminal. if you walk
// >>away from your machine and leave it unlocked - it's fair game for
// >>ANYTHING. someone locking it with a pw u don't know is fairly harmless
// >>compared to other things they can do.
// >
// >
// >Shouldn't desklock just use xscreensaver then? That would take care of
// >all the authentication (unix, PAM, KRB5, etc.) for us as well as
// >providing various backgrounds (as mentioned in the other thread)
// >through the screensavers. It'd also save duplicating a lot of work,
// >IMO.
// >
// That meens it doesn't work without xscrennsaver ?
//
//
//
//
// Juste for fun, a Mini HOWTO lock screen with xscreensaver under e17 :-P
//
// 1) create a startup action to run xscreensaver
//
// 2) In key binding settings.
//
//   2.1) remove desktop lock key binding
//
//   2.2) add a User Defined Action
//
// Binding context : Any
// Key Binding     : Alt l
// Action          : exec
// Params          : /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -lock
//
//
//    my 2 cts
//
//              Fran?ois

Good for you :) you can use it as well. You also can use it if you work
in KDE, although KDE presents its own desktop lockin mechanism. :)

It is actually the same as to have entrance instead of xdm.
Same crap. Or to have twm instead of E.

I personaly do not like "standard" xlock or xscreensaver. I like to to
have nice desktop locking screen, where I can choose what I want to have
on my locked screens. That is the reason I do this staff.

Have a nice evening.

//
//
// >- -sandalle
// >
// >- --
// >Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
// >[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/
// >http://eric.sandall.us/          |  SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU
// >http://counter.li.org/  #196285  |  http://www.shock.wsu.edu/
// >
// >
// >-------------------------------------------------------
// >This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language
// >that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live
// >webcast
// >and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!
// >http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642
// >enlightenment-devel mailing list
// >enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
// >