On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 00:02:58 +0000 Aleksej Struk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> [...]
> // >>>remember (though they could use the same password as their account
> // >>>password, but then that opens up 'security' issues with who gets
> // >>>access to where this password is stored, is it encrypted, etc.).
> // >>
> // >>
> // >>the problem is - to handle the "user password" is a massive pain in
> // >>the arse. you need to use PAM or getpwent() and this presents some
> // >>serious problems. what if your user account details live in an ldap
> // >>db? sure - pam wraps this and handles it, but now we bind ourselves to
> // >>pam - which is a bit problematic to use in a portable way even between
> // >>linux distributions.
> // >>
> // >>also note - this is no worse than leaving your desktop unlocked and
> // >>someone walking by and going "rm -rf ~/*" in a terminal. if you walk
> // >>away from your machine and leave it unlocked - it's fair game for
> // >>ANYTHING. someone locking it with a pw u don't know is fairly harmless
> // >>compared to other things they can do.
> // >
> // >
> // >Shouldn't desklock just use xscreensaver then? That would take care of
> // >all the authentication (unix, PAM, KRB5, etc.) for us as well as
> // >providing various backgrounds (as mentioned in the other thread)
> // >through the screensavers. It'd also save duplicating a lot of work,
> // >IMO.
> // >
> // That meens it doesn't work without xscrennsaver ?
> //
> //
> //
> //
> // Juste for fun, a Mini HOWTO lock screen with xscreensaver under e17 :-P
> //
> // 1) create a startup action to run xscreensaver
> //
> // 2) In key binding settings.
> //
> //   2.1) remove desktop lock key binding
> //
> //   2.2) add a User Defined Action
> //
> // Binding context : Any
> // Key Binding     : Alt l
> // Action          : exec
> // Params          : /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command -lock
> //
> //
> //    my 2 cts
> //
> //            Fran?ois
>
> Good for you :) you can use it as well. You also can use it if you work
> in KDE, although KDE presents its own desktop lockin mechanism. :)
>
> It is actually the same as to have entrance instead of xdm.
> Same crap. Or to have twm instead of E.
>
> I personaly do not like "standard" xlock or xscreensaver. I like to to
> have nice desktop locking screen, where I can choose what I want to have
> on my locked screens. That is the reason I do this staff.

and don't get discouraged by people saying not to do it. this is a useful
feature. sure - it's not perfect, and there are problems doing things certain
ways - BUT - it's good and useful. its a small snippet of code that means u
dont NEED xlock or xscreensaver even installed.

> Have a nice evening.
>

> //
> //
> // >- -sandalle
> // >
> // >- --
> // >Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
> // >[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/
> // >http://eric.sandall.us/          |  SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU
> // >http://counter.li.org/  #196285  |  http://www.shock.wsu.edu/
> // >
> // >
> // >-------------------------------------------------------
> // >This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting
> language // >that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the
> live // >webcast
> // >and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding
> territory! //
> >http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=110944&bid=241720&dat=121642 //
> // >
> // >
> //
>
> --
>
> Aleksej Struk
> Master Degree Student
> Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
> Faculty of Computer Science
> phone: +39-0471-061749
> cell phone: +39-3204627049 +370-61278908
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)