On 06/11/17 23:56, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:
> I'd rather not start creating meta build systems that we then need to track
> and maintain. I will temporarily add a tarball for meson 0.39 until Debian
> decides to do an update for the package.
>
> I further don't see any point in keeping an autogen.sh script when all it
> does is add an unnecessary extra step to the build process; with meson it's
> 2 steps:
>
> meson -Doptions=values . build
> cd build && sudo ninja install
>
> The reason for autogen.sh existing in the first place was because
> autoreconf used to be unreliable, so it was necessary to explicitly run
> commands in a certain order. An autotools example build:
>
> autoreconf -fi
> ./configure --options=values
> sudo make install
>
> As seen in the above examples, there is not much point in keeping the
> script. Packagers will update their packages accordingly and power users
> who run off git will need to be using meson/ninja anyway.

Yeah I agree, we will just update our packages to completely use the
meson build macro's rather then the autotools ones, i've already tested
this somewhere.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30