I'd rather not start creating meta build systems that we then need to track
and maintain. I will temporarily add a tarball for meson 0.39 until Debian
decides to do an update for the package.

I further don't see any point in keeping an autogen.sh script when all it
does is add an unnecessary extra step to the build process; with meson it's
2 steps:

meson -Doptions=values . build
cd build && sudo ninja install

The reason for autogen.sh existing in the first place was because
autoreconf used to be unreliable, so it was necessary to explicitly run
commands in a certain order. An autotools example build:

autoreconf -fi
./configure --options=values
sudo make install

As seen in the above examples, there is not much point in keeping the
script. Packagers will update their packages accordingly and power users
who run off git will need to be using meson/ninja anyway.