On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 07:21:41 +0100 Andreas Metzler <ametz...@bebt.de> said:

> On 2017-12-17 Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 14:08:11 +0100 Andreas Metzler <ametz...@bebt.de> said:
>
> >> (sid):/tmp/EFL/efl-1.20.6$ ./configure --help | grep -i lua
> >>   --enable-lua-old        Enable interpreted Lua support (5.1 or 5.2).
> >>   --enable-elua           enable ELUA support. [default=enabled]
> >>   --with-elua=PATH        specify a specific path to elua [default=elua]
> >>   --with-bin-elua=PATH    specify a specific path to elua [default=elua]
>
> >> seemed to /suggest/ to me that EFL could be built without lua support.
> >> However even with
>
> > it cannot. choices are luajit or "old regular lua". and even then old
> > regular lua is basically being deprecated.
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> > the new luajit release in beta has arm64
> > support now, so ... it's pretty much time to move on.
> [...]
>
> luajit generally has support for arm64 but EFL breaks with "bad light
> userdata pointer" (T6156), so as a workaround we have switched to
> lua-old on Debian/arm64.

well luajit didn't even document this limitation until fairly recently (end of
2016). in fact it's a limitation for x86-64 too... for a long time before being
documented. it's a very very very odd thing to limit and no one would expect a
pointer can only use a limited number of bits for the address unless clearly
and distinctly documented. (the pull request came in end of 2016, and luajit is
STILL broken for 52bit addressing for example). my take is that luajit is
basically broken on 64bit as it makes major assumptions on the VALUE of an
address - if the kernel were to remap elsewhere in virtual memory in certain
ways it'd still be broken if we just used basic raw pointers. adding the
documentation at least kind of helps... but it's still a major design error.
we've worked around it in git by now.