On 2017-12-17 Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 07:21:41 +0100 Andreas Metzler <ametz...@bebt.de> said:
[...]
>> luajit generally has support for arm64 but EFL breaks with "bad light
>> userdata pointer" (T6156), so as a workaround we have switched to
>> lua-old on Debian/arm64.

> well luajit didn't even document this limitation until fairly recently
> (end of 2016). in fact it's a limitation for x86-64 too... for a long
> time before being documented. it's a very very very odd thing to limit
> and no one would expect a pointer can only use a limited number of
> bits for the address unless clearly and distinctly documented. (the
> pull request came in end of 2016, and luajit is STILL broken for 52bit
> addressing for example). my take is that luajit is basically broken on
> 64bit as it makes major assumptions on the VALUE of an address - if
> the kernel were to remap elsewhere in virtual memory in certain ways
> it'd still be broken if we just used basic raw pointers. adding the
> documentation at least kind of helps... but it's still a major design
> error.  we've worked around it in git by now.

Hello,

my layman's reading of the respective bug-reports also was that the
respective luajit interface was broken. Is the suggested solution
("switch to FFI bindings") a real solution?

Will the workaround in EFL GIT possibly end up in a 1.20.x release or is
t strictly 1.21 material?

TIA, cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'