On Mon, 28 May 2018 16:05:11 -0400 "William L. Thomson Jr."
<wlt...@obsidian-studios.com> said:

> On Mon, 28 May 2018 19:55:55 +0200
> Marcel Hollerbach <m...@bu5hm4n.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > D6224, D6223, D6222 are fixing the issue. (Or at least the cases i
> > have seen).
> >
> > However, could you stop acting up like this & writing mails like
> > this?
>
> Maybe there needs to be more so others do not do such things?

will - i know we have our differences... but you hit the nail on the head
here. :)

> > The lifetime of eo objects have been quite a mess, this branch
> > brought a bit light into the dark, it was not perfect how it came,
> > sure,
>
> I think all should focus more on the breakage than the reaction.

absolutely. i tried to make it clear it wasn't personal and i was focusing on
the breakage and a solution (either solve without revert or a revert needed). i
also anted to point out that commits of this nature in large batches when it
becomes "unibsectable" have horrible knock-on effects to other people trying to
fix it and as daniel points out too - in future digging through history to find
the commit that changed something now has to skip this entire batch. this is
not good to have in our history.

> Breaking things is bad m'kay... A few have reported breakage already.
> That never reflects well on a project much less any TEAM.

correct. someone did a bad play... it's being pointed out and i'm airing 2
solutions with a deadline (for now). one of the solutions is mine (revert) and
is not pretty.

> > however here it is. Further more, you claim that this is not
> > personal, why was it then not enough to create a ticket, or simply a
> > revert revision to discuss things?
>
> It seemed like considerable time was spent trying to find a commit to
> revert or a a series. How much time should another spend? Should things
> be broken like this in the first place? With several reporting
> breakage already, and more likely to experience such.
>
> > Doing patches in EFL had always a  team flavor for me, mails like
> > this are destroying that feeling. So in the end: Could we stop this
> > stupid blame team and start to act as a team again?
>
> Dropping a series of some 121 commits at once does not seem to team
> friendly to me. Unless the work is perfect or well tested and
> reviewed. There was already a discussion on reviews. If you say 1 minute
> per commit, that is 2 hours of review... If there is a discussion on
> any or needs testing modification etc. You are talking many hours...

1 minute is not a review. a proper review of a patch takes at least on average
i'd say 30-60min. some can be 5-10min (i include apply, compile and run here on
a fast machine) others need deep reading of a large diff. that can take hours
depending on diff size of course.

> Not to mention with a upcoming release. Unless a bunch of stuff was
> broken and this fixes all that. Then really should be less than more.
> Every fix could potentially break something else. This seems like it
> caused way more issues than it fixed. Hard to defend.

indeed. nail. head.

> I think the reaction of waiting a few days and giving the author and
> TEAM a chance to fix is more than adequate and being overly nice. Not
> to mention effort put forth to fix, revert, etc already. I would not
> have been surprised if the commits were reverted right away. But a more
> diplomatic approach was taken. That is nice enough IMHO.

i tried. :) a combo of work needed to revert + possible value+gains within the
patch series vs "badness of results post patch" made me take this path.

> People really need to get thick skin again. Its ok for a team member or
> project lead to be harsh on others for things. Surely for large patch
> sets and breaking stuff.... I have seen others lose it in public venues
> over much less... This being overly nice is why stuff like this can
> happen and others think its ok. I think the reaction would change
> things so such does not happen again. Then no reaction, no problem.

i did try and be nice... as i value the work put in and cedric's time and
effort etc. etc. and i'm trying to offer a reasonable reaction and solutions to
this. if any kind of identification of patches in future is seen as bad and
cannot be done, then i suspect this will be dysfunctional as it can get as you
have to tiptoe around everything you say or do. you can never point at any
code lest it perhaps identify a person and make them feel bad.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com