Obviously I think a lot of people agree with Mike's sentiments here.  The
community has been on a down turn for a while with excellent core
developers leaving or becoming apathetic because of the lack of structure
within the project which has led to quality issues, timeliness issues, and
even interpersonal issues.  There is a lack of userbase and development
base outside of those who are paid to work on the project, and that is
generally a sign of the project becoming so miserable to work on or use,
that nobody is willing to do it unless they are compensated.  Several of us
made a last ditch big push to bring some structure into the project and
address a lot of the problems that the project is facing -- this resulted
in meetings occurring to try and develop some semblance of a project
roadmap, releases, patch review guidelines, testing guidelines, and
decision making process.  We determined that a release of EFL was needed
sooner rather than later, and that getting that release out would take a
lot of work in a short time.  Further we decided that some form of patch
review would improve the project.  We were unable to develop a plan for
decision making other than we all can vote but Raster gets last say.
Interestingly, in agreement with Mike,  what I've seen following these
decisions has been pretty bad.  Cedric needed to land his work for us to
start the release process -- while he was working his butt off to get there
and get it ready, I saw Raster decide to go create a completely new module
(bluez5) out of the blue, while plenty fixes and stabilizations were needed
to get EFL even close to ready to release, or even while Cedric could have
used help.  When asked what the purpose of this was when other things were
so pressing, Raster simply stated he thought his USB mouse used too much
battery, and thus he wanted to use a Bluetooth mouse and using the command
line interface to connect it was too much work.  So, I mentioned to Raster
that this patch set for the new bluez5 module (which uses frankly
antiquated gadget api) meets the guidelines that even he agreed on to
require patch review - I.E. It was greater than 50 lines, was a new feature
unplanned for release, fell within an area of the codebase that others were
familiar with, etc... Raster reluctantly agreed to put it up for review.
Upon receiving critique in the review - Raster decided to desert the review
process and just land the module into git master.  Meanwhile there is a
release process still trying to go on and work like Cedric's needing
testing and review, and breaks within legacy api in EFL needing fixes for
release.  So to my amazement, with what appears to me to be poor
leadership, I see all of Cedric's hardwork land followed by an email that
absolutely blasts it and then blasts him while simultaneously somehow
concluding that review processes don't work.  There is a lot of hypocrisy
here and a lot of double standards.  Frankly if we want this project to
move forward we have to stop treating it as a playground for some while
requiring perfection from others. (When config was broken in E by Raster
and I reverted it, I didn't come here to the list calling it horrible and
making accusations about drive by changes and review not working).  There
are some of us who still have a lot of personal attachment to this project,
as Mike mentioned, that are finding it harder and harder to watch the
progression (or shall I say regression) of things.  We have got to do
better than this.  We can do better than this.  This project is better off
for having Cedric and all of the work that he does and one patch set does
not change any of that.  We need to be far more professional as a team and
exude a much better organization if we want users and developers and to see
the project flourish.  That needs to start from the top.