On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:14:47 +0200 Marcel Hollerbach <m...@bu5hm4n.de> said:

> Hello,
>
> As Mike & Stefan pointed out in the ML thread "Community Scheduling",
> doing EFL releases is quite a pain from time to time, we have a constant
> "last minute" discussion about what is going to be merged, and what is
> not. I feel like this is stretching nerves of everyone.
>
> However, the freeze period of efl-1.21 showed quite good that we can
> actually coordinate ourself quite good via phabricator, we had a good
> patch burn rate in that time. For me it felt like everyone knew where
> are the current blockers, and where to put his/her effort to give the
> whole project momentum towards the release.
>
> My idea is that i would like to test this also for the beginning of the
> next release cycle, this means:
>    - When efl-1.21 is out of the door, I will immanently create another
>      milestone efl-1.22.
>    - Over the first few weeks everyone can add feature/TODO/wishlist
>      tickets, to this milestone.

How about we just set a date. The feature makes it, or it doesn't. When the
date comes near, if the feature hasn't landed already it can be deferred until
after release in a branch or in an ifdef or a if () etc. etc.

What you describe is a feature based release cycle, not a timed one, and that is
what ended up delaying efl's releases for a long time recently. If releases
happen regularly and things "make it or not" it'll be simple and smooth IMHO.
I suspect Stefan would think this is the right way to go too. It's less complex
than this as well and doesn't put pressure on features to take shortuts to make
a date. There is always another release in 3-4 months or so.

>    - At some point few say thats enough and continue to work on those
>      TODOs
>    - Over the time of the development period the TODO items are done,
>      and new bugs / regressions are added back.
>    - The release can happen when we are safe to say that the amount of
>      bugs has lowered
>
> This will give everyone a good overview of where the project is heading,
> what is happening, who is working on what, and feels (at least to me)
> that the project has a visible and messurable "speed" of development,
> which is always nice from a motivation POV. Additionally we can see what
> blocks specific tasks.
>
> A additional plus point of this is, that we can finally tag Easy / Hard
> / Impossible to those TODO tickets. I feel like adding them to TODOs is
> a lot easier than adding them to real bugs. As saying a bug is hard or
> easy, can just be right if you have either found the cause, (then you
> can fix it yourself), or it was that hard that you did not find it, and
> you tag impossible (which will then definitly not get new devs motivated).
>
> And ideas on that ? Happy with it ?
>
> This is such a heavy thing that we might want to call out a irc meeting
> at some point.

I think so. I am in favour of timed releases (with a bit of slack like a week or
2 here or there). They are simple. They de-complicate things. The decouple
features and releases really.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com