Hello.

On 08/10/2018 08:15 PM, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:
> To list some pros and cons for a switch:
>
> PROS:
> * Greatly improved patch review UI
> Gitlab is similar in workflow and usage to Github, so it will be much
> easier to use the patch review tools

What patch review tools are you talking about here besides the web UI?

> * Simplified patch submission workflow
> Gitlab uses git and does not require external tools such as arc/git-phab

This is indeed a very big plus in my view. The move from arc to git-phab
helped but its still cumbersome compared to just use git directly.

> * Actively developed
> Phabricator is basically closed-source at this point, and they develop only
> as they decide to or as people pay them to. Gitlab is open source and the
> developers actively reply to tickets and fix issues

I would not go as far as calling it closed source. They have a clear
view and agenda they want phab to develop into. Problems arise if this
is not the same vision we want to use phab and if we have little
influence. On the other hand it is not like we have been really dicing
into it and proposed patches to them in a big way either.

> CONS:
> * Does require having people manage a migration

A key point. Who would handle the migration and do all the manual work
involved? I remember that Daniel and Tom spend many, many days on the
git and phab migration.

Is the intern without name available to do this? If not who else would
do it?

> * Will take time to migrate

As I outlined in my other mail I would expect several iterations with
reviews of the results, moving a project at a time over when happy.

> * Will take time to adjust to new tools/workflows

It would also mean updating our docs on contributions (as sparse as they
might be)

One con missing here is the fact that the language of the system used is
switching from php to ruby. Personally I do not care, but we had
modifications on the phab code in the past to help against some spam
attacks. With php that was possible because people here with C
background just hacked on it. To the best of my knowledge we have nobody
with a ruby background here though. We could hope that we never come
into the situation that we would need to modify it, but its a risk we
need to keep in mind.

regards
Stefan Schmidt