Hello,

On 8/30/18 10:41 AM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
Hello.

On 08/28/2018 05:08 PM, Stephen Houston wrote:
Hello,

Just checking in here on the status of this - Does there need to be a
slowvote or does it seem that everyone is on board here or do people
disagree and want to voice why?

I have not replied to this so far (a longer reply to Mike's mail will
come in a bit).

There can be seen some support in this thread, but I honestly think we
are missing opinions from many other active people before we should go
further here. In particular I would like to hear opinions from hermet,
bu5hman, netstar, q66, raster, vtorri, xavi, chris, derek, yohoho, beber
  and more I forgot.

I am completely in favor of going to a new platform. However, i am a bit skeptical what would be expected. In most IRC converstations it sounded like the biggest problem was the tooling and the not obvious task stuff.

But in the end we end up with tooling where you need to access your browser, find the correct branch etc. then create a PR, is that obvious to everyone ?

Also, a lot of complains where into the direction of missing CI stuff in phab or in general bad CI integration, with gitlab this is not really better. If we dont include or hookup a few buildplaces, nothing gets really better.

And in the end, our bugtracker has been a incredible mess until some cleanup action took place. If we don't do this again and again, things will likely not get better at all.

There have been a long long list of projects that have migrated to gitlab. However, others are also managing to use phab (haskell, kde, freebsd, blender). What I want to say with this is, phabricator is not that bad, others are also managing to work with it :)

tldr: We maintained and handled our phab instance bad, if we do the same with gitlab, nothing will really change IMO.

A slowvote that would ask for general acceptance of a move to gitlab
(not on all the details) might be a good step to understand if the
people not commented yet are in the yes, no or don't care camp.

More detailed comments on the proposal in a separate mail.

regards
Stefan Schmidt