On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:44:52 +0200 Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org>
said:

> Hello.
>
> On 09/12/2018 10:24 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> I tend to agree here, unless we knew we had a simple easy way to migrate
> >> it to other hosting at anytime we needed.
>
> If we would have, say a docker hosting it could start there and be
> migrated over to our own hosting whenever we get that into shape.
> Not saying its the best solution but it could be an option.

containers are nicer but they do then create more of a limit of where we can
run.

> > My experience leads me to be pretty adamant on not relying on cloud
> > services we have to pay for eve if someone sponsors and pays for it. We
> > lose control and reality is that these helping hands come and go.
>
> Using them for a given timeframe until we have our infra in better shape
> would make the risk manageable for them in terms of how much they
> sponsor and for us in terms of getting full control in the end.
>
>  OSUOSL is a university and
> > they have been supporting OSS projects for a veeeeeery long time. We need to
> > get our server into better shape though. Probably simpler shape.
>
> This is the core problem. OSUOL has indeed doing a great job for us over
> the years for hosting and connectivity. But they can only be as good as
> we allow them to be. Waiting for us for a fan to be shipped to be
> replaced for over 6 months is nothing we are helping them with.
>
> To be blunt here our infra is a nightmare. To complex to manage for
> anyone besides Beber. Beber not being available means _nothing_ changes.

precisely. I would like to go back to something very simple. not a bunch of
vm's or containers etc. ... my thoughts right now are a simple single sub vm on
our current gentoo parent box. no fancy network layering/routing etc. ... then
it's manageable for multiple people as it's simple and obvious and easy to
figure out. yes. it's probably not as secure... but that's what the vm is for.
extract the data out, and rebuild if the worst happens.

or at least something like the above. something very simple to manage/set
up/run etc.

> Is that was all discussed during EDD in Malta in 2017 and promised to be
> worked on. This was 15 months ago and I see zero impact so far.
>
> This is not about to point fingers to Beber. He has been helping us many
> many years as a volunteer. He has all rights to take time off or even
> disappear completely and we still should be thankful for the work he did.
>
> It is however a big problem in the project if we want to self host
> everything, but our infra is simply not ready for it.

well one big big big issue is the ipmi console. i have tried to get access to
it. i have asked cedric and beber. without that there is no way i can do a
kernel upgrade on a gentoo host because you have to compile by hand and
something is bound to go wrong... and without that console there is no rescue.

> To summarize: I share your concerns on cloud hosting with sponsoring,
> but our infra is not ready for anything new. _If_ we move to gitlab
> having it hosted for a few months on a cloud service with a migration
> plan to our own infra is something I consider a fair deal.

my gut and experience tells em few months then becomes a few years and then
something goes wrong and we're in a dark place. :(

my take is that if there is to be any move in addition to it "being worth it"
we have to get our infra into shape FIRST. let this be the kick in the pants to
do that. if we just put that off then it will just never happen as above.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com