Seeing as I have infra access what can I do to help?

On 2018-09-25 21:17, Bertrand Jacquin wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 12:32:01PM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:50:00 +0100 Bertrand Jacquin <bertr...@jacquin.bzh> said:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 06:45:20AM -0500, Stephen Houston wrote:
> > OSUOSL is great. But it's pointless when none of us can get the access we
> > need to the server and when the person that has/controls that access takes
> > forever and a day to communicate and/or wont budge. Help has been offered
> > in sysadmin for years from multiple devs who are sysadmins by trade and who
> > could handle the complexity,
>
> You have the right to complain, that's probably fair but you have to
> remember I'm only a volunteer here, nothing else can be expected from
> me. Stop the fud.
>
> Not to blame or anything, the only actual help was provided by Raster
> from time to time to hotfix some crap going on. Raster, jaquilina and
> myself are root on the whole infra, any changes can be made. If the
> infra is seen as too complex, questions can be raised but there are not.

TBH... I'm partly to blame as I just don't know how most of it works. I figure it out as I go. :) But it would be good to have more people able to do hot fixes or address issues when others can't. I try and remember to let you know
of any changes that you need to know about.

This is correct, hotfix are fine, nothing wrong about that.  What looks
not fair is people blaming me for not being available in my spare time
to volunteer for a project when others have access. It's a lost cause,
I'm not going to whine about it.

I think having as many VMs as we have doesn't help. Containers won't make that element simpler in terms of "too fragmented". Knowing which VM (or which container) something is in is hard enough to follow. :) You really need to know
the infra well.

Or just being used to do that. That's the thing as code, you know well
code so you can pretty much decipher code quickly, whatever language or
architecture being used. For infra it's pretty much the same thing.
When you are used to it, you can figure out pretty much all the
components very quickly.

I know it's not "secure" and "right" but having fewer VMs with "shared hosting"
within a single instance for many things might help a lot.

This is a design choice we made 5+ years ago when we set e5 up. The idea being to be able to put each VM to a different place in case of disaster
recovery. This does not mean we have to stick on that. I'm in favor in
making this change. It does not mean it has to be me doing this. You're
all bunch of smart people that can come with alternative. What I'm NOT
going to do is to explain every single step to people as it would
consume me more time than doing it myself. This is exactly the speech I
have to Jacquinola multiple time, I see a will to do stuff but not seen
much proposal or action from that.

At least I have
found it easier in the past to find things that way. Don't know how something is
set up? "sudo grep -r xxxx /". :)

That's a very good starting point.