I am getting many different vibes here. Are we looking at redoing the e5 setup and another server is needed in terms of sponsor ship in order to rebuild e5?

On 2018-09-25 21:08, Bertrand Jacquin wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:54:16AM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:57:27 +0100 Bertrand Jacquin <bertr...@jacquin.bzh> said:

> > > This is something I do not agree with. I have been kicking into pants
> > > for problems with the infra for _years_ when doing Jenkins. It has
> > > changed nothing and I moved over to cloud services to get the control
> > > and flexibility I needed.
> >
> > This is a result of policy from Beber of giving pretty minimal VM's with
> > limited ram/disk with gentoo. We have the resources - they are just not
> > being assigned and being able to provision your own is far too complex with
> > what we have. If all you had to do was run some libvirt cmds to spin up a
> > new VM of whatever size/config you wanted , I think you'd be fine.
>
> Well, e5 clearly has not enough memory and CPU to support all the build
> ran by Jenkins, this is why we had to split the building instances from

That I just don't buy. I compile all of e, efl, terminology, rage on a
raspberry pi with 768m ram (256 partitioned off to gpu) and do parallel builds... and can run a gui at the same time. e5 has 48gb of ram. last i heard from stefan the vm's for building had maybe 2 or 4gb ram allocated to them and limited disk space. correct me if i'm wrong - this may have been a while ago.

Memory is not the issue here, CPU is. Each VM has 4GB or RAM, each build
use -j6 and we can have up to 4 jenkins build at the same time, this on
3 different VM.

Read this a different way: having build and servers (web, git etc) is not
achievable.

compared to a raspberry pi .. e5 runs rings around it so many times it's not funny and an rpi can do this easily enough. yes - jenkins adds infra cost itself, but a single vm for linux builds (with multiple chroots) would consume
very little resources

That is true, the VM overhead is not negligible. VM were the initial
design and we stuck on this. I am far from being against that as I'm far from being against containers, finding the right time to work on this is
a different matter.

as it would only need a single build controller and just
spawn off scripts per build that do the chroot fun.

sure - need a vm for bsd, and windows and other OS's that can't do the chroot
trick.

> the hosting instances. Even still, current ressources are too limited.
> You will not be able to have more than 10 instances running at the same
> time.

10 build instances? if they are properly ionice'd and niced to be background tasks vs www etc... i think we can,. they might take longer as the xeons are old on the server, but they can do the task still. i regularly build efl/e on
hardware a tiny fraction of the power of e5.

We don't just instances for build, we have instances for web, mail, git,
phab etc .. Which by the way were moved to e6 last year after the
website was pretty much unsable and the disk issue we had, server that I'm
still paying myself. This was meant to be a temporary solution, but I
did not find the appropriate time to allocate on putting stuff back.

Cheers