On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:55:25 -0700 Blake Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> On Sep 11, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Michael Jennings wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 23:29:11 (+0300),
> > Hisham Mardam Bey wrote:
> >
> >> Prior to diving into the "what to use" discussion
> >
> > See, I don't think that's the conversation we should be having right
> > now.
> >
> > We're using XSM right now.  Unless there is some fundamental flaw in
> > XSM that cannot be overcome, we need to stick with it.
> >
> > So if there are problems with XSM, let's identify them.
> >
> > 1.  Speed
> >
> > This will be resolved when we go local, as best I can tell from
> > playing with the demo.
> >
> > 2.  Unintuitive?
> >
> > Blake says XSM's editing interface is unintuitive.  I can see some
> > room for improvement, but straight HTML in a textarea seems pretty
> > intuitive to me, albeit not as user-friendly as it could be.
> >
> > There is a definite advantage to having one of the developers of the
> > CMS we're using on our team.  The problem is, everyone speaks in
> > abstracts:  "It's painful!"  "I don't like it!"  More specific
> > (constructive!) criticisms will ultimately result in a more usable XSM
> > as well as a better site for E.
> >
> > So...anyone want to start with #3?
>
> 3.  Foreign codebase.
>
> This is an old problem, where 1 person writes a huge chunk of code
> and then it's hard for a team to collaborate on it.  If we want to be
> able to add features to merge the websites (get-e.org and
> edevelop.org), a move to a standard framework like Rails would make
> this easier for more people to contribute, add features, make
> changes, etc.  Personally I can't invest time delving into the code
> for XSM, I've invested time in Rails because of it's community and
> standardized way of doing things.

would it? i would not agree. i would need to learn all of rails to do it. rails
is a foreign codebase to me. i know enough php to get along. for anyone who
knows perl, c or c++, php is almost a no-brainer.

rails is not a silver bullet. it is simply a mechanism to do a dynamically
generated website (much like php) in a way that you happen to like and prefer.
that's great - for YOU!

we need to focus on how much we can push xsm before it can't go any further.

> Andy told me he didn't have time to do most of these things.
> However, if the only thing we need is more updates, and a
> reorganization of information.  By all means, stick with XSM!  Maybe
> even merge get-e.org.  But edevelop.org provides a lot more than what
> XSM is capable of.  (And edevelop.org is fairly crappy in my opinion,
> Drupal has issues too.  Another reason I'd like to work on a
> redesign.)  Raster himself said he wanted to be able to add
> additional features to integrate the desktop and the website...
>
> -Blake

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)