On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 08:10:48PM +0100, Sebastian Dransfeld wrote:
> Hannes Janetzek wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have started to make a module for e17 to control NetwokManager. I
> > would like to use ecore_dbus for that, but it seems
> > ecore_dbus_message_new_method_return doesn't work correctly. (I need
> > this function since NetworkManager gathers user preferences from the
> > client.) so when the return message is sent a
> > ECORE_DBUS_EVENT_SERVER_DEL is produced on the sending side and a dbus
> > timeout is recieved on the other (method calling side).
> > Am i doing soemthing wrong or is this the expected behavior atm? If so,
> > do you have any hints what needs to be
> > done to fix this?
>
> Can you show some sample code? And check whether the dbus samples work.
>
> Sebastian

The ecore_dbus_receive_test sample (in test/orig/ecore) doesn't actually
send a reply. (Which would definitely cause the other end to eventually
time out if it was expecting one). So, the method_return code probably
has never been tested.

Ecore_DBus is pretty young, and still missing some functionality. If you
want to use it, you'll probably want to get familiar with its code so
you can fix any bugs you run across and implement any missing
functionality you need.

As an alternative approach, I started a simple wrapper around dbus that
hooks it into e's main loop. It provides a few convenience functions for
setting up method receivers, etc, but requires using the lowlevel
libdbus api for many things.

I probably won't have any time in the next couple months to work on
this, so I've put up a tarball at:
  http://rephorm.com/files/code/e_dbus-0.0.1.tar.gz

It includes part of the hal dbus api wrapped up into a lib and a demo
ewl app using that.

I would love to see someone take this and ecore_dbus and do some
benchmarks. In my opinion, unless we can get some significant
speed/memory gain from ecore_dbus as opposed to libdbus, I don't see the
point of having an independant implementation of the spec.

rephorm