Am Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:33:11 -0600
schrieb Brian Mattern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 08:10:48PM +0100, Sebastian Dransfeld wrote:
> > Hannes Janetzek wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have started to make a module for e17 to control NetwokManager.
> > > I would like to use ecore_dbus for that, but it seems
> > > ecore_dbus_message_new_method_return doesn't work correctly. (I
> > > need this function since NetworkManager gathers user preferences
> > > from the client.) so when the return message is sent a
> > > ECORE_DBUS_EVENT_SERVER_DEL is produced on the sending side and a
> > > dbus timeout is recieved on the other (method calling side).
> > > Am i doing soemthing wrong or is this the expected behavior atm?
> > > If so, do you have any hints what needs to be
> > > done to fix this?
> >
> > Can you show some sample code? And check whether the dbus samples
> > work.
> >
> > Sebastian
> >

> The ecore_dbus_receive_test sample (in test/orig/ecore) doesn't
> actually send a reply. (Which would definitely cause the other end to
> eventually time out if it was expecting one). So, the method_return
> code probably has never been tested.
>
> Ecore_DBus is pretty young, and still missing some functionality. If
> you want to use it, you'll probably want to get familiar with its
> code so you can fix any bugs you run across and implement any missing
> functionality you need.

ok. i invested already a few hours staring at the code of
ecore_dbus but couldn't find where the problem is exactly. As far as i
can interpret dbus-monitor's output the reply message is not even sent,
but dbus(the daemon) knows that we sent something, since
otherwise the timeout is not recieved.

> As an alternative approach, I started a simple wrapper around dbus
> that hooks it into e's main loop. It provides a few convenience
> functions for setting up method receivers, etc, but requires using
> the lowlevel libdbus api for many things.

thanks, i'll have a look at this one. using low-level dbus makes porting
simple (ie. just copy n paste).

> I probably won't have any time in the next couple months to work on
> this, so I've put up a tarball at:
>   http://rephorm.com/files/code/e_dbus-0.0.1.tar.gz
>
> It includes part of the hal dbus api wrapped up into a lib and a demo
> ewl app using that.
>
> I would love to see someone take this and ecore_dbus and do some
> benchmarks. In my opinion, unless we can get some significant
> speed/memory gain from ecore_dbus as opposed to libdbus, I don't see
> the point of having an independant implementation of the spec.

memory and performance wise there is probably not much to gain, but
I have to say that the api of ecore_dbus is really handy.  I would like
to use it for stuff i write from scratch. but anyway, it would probably
be possible to have the same api with your wrapper.

Regards,
Hannes