On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 23:06 -0400, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> There's a preference to draw a shelf on top windows.  I prefer this
> mode for precisely this reason - it lets you access the shelf despite
> a window being maximized.  Add in shelf autohiding and you haven't
> even lost screen space.

Yes I'm aware of these options, and they go a certain extent to
relieving the effects of bad window placement. But the complaint remains
that E17 is placing windows over the shelf.

> Out of curiosity, Metacity's policy of placing the top-left of new
> Windows in the first free, non-window decoration pixel from the top
> left is better?  My monitors are 1920x1200 and if I open five
> gnome-terminals, Metacity will duitifully make them all overlap...

I've never really used metacity. Compiz has options for window
placement, including a 'smart' option that behaves as its name implies.
Anyway, neither metacity nor compiz ( nor kde for that matter ) have
ever placed windows over a panel, or maximized new windows so that they
cover the entire screen.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer