On Jan 29, 2008 3:25 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         Gustavo wrote:
>
> > I have no time to reply your mail as detailed as I would like,
> > but one idea to do what you want is to make the gadcon usage
> > recursive. Then we could have an object that exports its own gadcon
> > api to children. Maybe it's an overkill and can be done by means
> > similar to evas smart objects.
>
>         Well, gadcons are mostly evas smart objects that implement
> a certain simple layout policy on its member objects, so likely having
> gadcons that contain other gadcons as members wouldn't be too hard
> to achieve.. and of course one could also have all sorts of other
> layout/container objects as well. All this could be very useful to
> have for actual, real uses.
>
>         What I was pointing to though was something a bit more abstract
> in nature. Basically, it's really just the notion of loadable, themable
> "evas-objects" (akin to what edje is in particular), eg. things like
> a 'clock-object', or a 'cpu-monitor-object', or a 'jumping-logo-object'
> etc... as well as various kinds of container/layout objects (possibly
> with some notion of a fg or bg), .... all are just examples - with some
> of them possibly exporting more functions unique to them, but all
> exporting (at least) the ability to add an object instance to a given
> evas, and of setting a theme/resource file on such instances.
>
>         By abstracting this out into a lib that 'manages' these
> loadable, themable 'evas-object' modules, you can use them wherever
> you have an evas available, create new ones (using existing ones or
> not), put them where others can also use them, etc.....
>
>         There's no need for many of these kinds of things to be e17-
> modules or e17 specific in any way, they really don't need to be
> restricted that way (any more than say let's just put edje inside
> e17), though some could also be 'e17-objects' or 'appX-objects'
> rather than generic 'evas-objects'.
>
>         Again, I'm just proposing a simple mechanism to enable the
> notion of loadable, themable 'evas-objects', so that these interesting,
> compound, gadget-like things can be made available for use/re-use
> on a wider basis.
>         There are a LOT of interesting 'objects' one can make using
> evas/ecore/edje/other-stuff... things from a simple boing-boing-logo
> to system-monitors to clocks to matrix-bgs to some-layout-object to
> some-gui-control to color-picker to virtual-keyboard to calculator
> to simple-video-playing-object to.... whatever.
>
>         It's a shame not to be able to load/use/build these kinds of
> things, where appropiate, or explore what this kind of capability
> could evolve into with further refinements.

what you want is basically what KDE plasma provides, we already did it
using python-efl for Canola, it's not as generic as you want, but it's
more generic than what we need, working really well.

Given some time, I'd really like to provide a layout library and
possible some basic widget-like components, just get e_box, e_widget_*
and make a lib. Maybe it should go into esmart, dunno.

It works, it's easy to do, what lack is people actually doing it.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri