> >        Again, I'm just proposing a simple mechanism to enable
> > the notion of loadable, themable 'evas-objects', so that these
> > interesting, compound, gadget-like things can be made available
> > for use/re-use on a wider basis.
> >         There are a LOT of interesting 'objects' one can make
> > using evas/ecore/edje/other-stuff... things from a simple boing-
> > boing-logo to system-monitors to clocks to matrix-bgs to some-
> > layout-object to some-gui-control to color-picker to virtual-
> > keyboard to calculator to simple-video-playing-object to....
> > whatever.
> >
> >         It's a shame not to be able to load/use/build these
> > kinds of things, where appropiate, or explore what this kind of
> > capability could evolve into with further refinements.
>
> what you want is basically what KDE plasma provides, we already
> did it using python-efl for Canola, it's not as generic as you
> want, but it's more generic than what we need, working really well.

        That's actually very interesting about canola - you've never
really mentioned much about it. :)

        I guess Kde's plasma (I know as much about it as I do about
the surface of the moon, ie. seen a few pictures, read a few stories),
could in part be an example of something like that.. and so is their
"kparts" stuff (minus the merged-gui-controls bit). In the windows
world there's this "DesktopX" framework which also seems similar, and
it's built on something very close to edje - though I believe it's
all developed via some gui builder and a scripting language, same as
with Flash I'd imagine.
        I suppose many that have to do with "guis" could be said to
have similar aspects... really anything that claims to have some kind
of 'modules' system - it's mostly a matter of the functions/properties
exported by the modules and the objects they deal with. For what we're
talking about here it'd be evas objects, though I suppose one could
do the same with ewl/etk-widgets or with something derived from these
toolkit widgets.

        With certain kinds of 'object systems' one often sees libs
that have a 'base' object which one can 'extend'. Invariably one then
sees developed larger libs which attempt to collect a set of standard/
common 'objects' which depend on each other and work together somehow.
They also allow for building on this by further 'extending', and often
such further derived objects are offered via other known libs.
        Invariably though, one also sees 'objects' that are fairly
self-contained or very specialized (regardless of how they're created),
and these are sometimes best used at run-time, if desired, rather than
linked-to beforehand, hence some sort of mechanism for querying/using
these also seems to be common.

        I don't think it'll ever be the case that one will supplant
the other, regardless of the kind of object-system or the programming
language used -- especially if the objects in question allow for
'embedding' of objects into some others.

> Given some time, I'd really like to provide a layout library and
> possible some basic widget-like components, just get e_box,
> e_widget_* and make a lib. Maybe it should go into esmart, dunno.

        That could be very useful to many.
[NB. raster has often mentioned wanting to extend edje/edc in various
 ways.. eg. more scripting language support, but also possibly having
 more layout mechanisms and maybe some form of widgetry..?]

> It works, it's easy to do, what lack is people actually doing it.

        Ummm... not a lot of work to write an intial pass at a lib
to manage such an 'evas-object' modules system.. and the actual
modules themselves would just be developed over time as desired.
        I suspect there are other reasons why things like this have
'problems' getting off the ground.