Hi,

I took time to talk to this subject because I wanted to write my proof
of concept before replying. In my opinion, a systray is a bad idea. For
the last two weeks I kept asking myself, "Why do people want a systray ?
What exactly is a systray ? How can I provide it ?".  For the first
question I've directly asked to anybody I know was using trayer, or
wanted a tray on E. The answers were about having a way to be notified,
a quick way to show/hide some windows. A few were about using direct
actions and each time with the same example, an audio player. And the
last one that nobody say directly but somehow is always there, because
they are simply used to it.

For the second question, the easiest way to find out what exactly is a
systray, it's to look at the source. A systray on windows is the only
way to move an app outside the taskbar, the only way to keep visible an
application running in the background but needs a GUI sometimes and was
the only way to provide a pseudo gadget. Nowadays a huge amout of
applications running on windows put something in the tray. Most of the
time the systray have more applications than the taskbar, and 3/4 of
them being hidden to take less place within the bar (so much for the
monitoring). So what exactly is a systray ? I dunno, if it's a way to
continuously notify why hide the icons and show a bubble ? If it's a way
to lighten the taskbar why only the application as the power to choose ?
And if it's a way to provide quick actions why do we still need this
under our WMs were any one of them can use modules for years ?

Well, here is the problem. A systray is a mess in it's basic design.
Some half done thing wishing to compete with OS X dock. So write a spec,
even good, about something doing a bit of (continuous ?) notification, a
bit of quick action and a bit of docking isn't, in my opinion, the
greatest thing to do. Of course it will works, but why redo half of the
job instead of finishing it once and for all ?

First let's have a _real_ fdo specification about notifications,
galago's one was refused. It still miss some details, but I think it's a
good base. And I believe it's something far more useful than just a
common way to blink an icon somewhere in the screen (the urgent flag can
already be used to do it). By pushing it a little I did the notification
boxes :
http://lok.eadrax.org/images/notification_box-3.png
http://lok.eadrax.org/images/notification_box-4.png
Which means than a good notification spec could cover all the aspect of
notifications, popups and icons. Moreover I didn't implemented it but
this spec handle actions, their purpose is to reply to an event.

A docking specification doesn't seems necessary, we already have
everything we need to dock an application like it would be in a tray.
IIirk is the proof and IBox is also a solution.

And finally for quick actions there is no common way possible. Depending
on the purpose of the applications you will not wish to display it the
same way. For an audio player, having a module giving you the
possibility to play/pause/next/prev with a single click is better than
openning a menu and choosing the good action in it. See
http://www.kuliniewicz.org/music-applet/ for example. Whereas to quickly
change a network like with network-manager you would rather have a popup
with a list showing directly the name of the network, if it's protected
and how good you catch it. All that using the same look than your WM.
Redoing a module for each WM takes more work but end up nicer than
reducing everything to a menu.

Mixing iiirk and notification together would provide over 90% of what a
tray does. Add to that IBar/IBox and you get something near OS X dock.
Of course any other combination is possible. All this relying only on
the .desktop spec, a notification one and the old NetWM's skip flags,
breaking nothing and just requiring sometimes to install a notification
plugin.

So no I don't think we should change the tray spec, we should forget
about it. Even if we do change it, even if we also manage to make the
applications following the new one. All we will get is a bunch of icons
stacked at their own will in a corner with the ability to open a menu. I
would rather like to see a clean and complete notification spec accepted
by FDO.

Samuel 'lok' Mendes