On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > We could put checks like this in edje_object_part_swallow. But I can't
>  > > help to
>  > > think was programmed to work this way for a reason I ignore.
>  >
>  > All ELFs are written in this way, without error checking and reporting, i
>  > think it's for performance reason and I like it :)
>
>  I sincerely hope that this was an ironic statement. The complete lack of
> error
>  handling in the EFL (well, apart from image loading) is dooming like the
>  sword of damocles. I'm afraid as EFL gets more popular this will be a _major_
>  hindrance for professional adoption and I'd really like us to revisit this
>  before it's too late (read: stable APIs).

I very much agree with Mickey, as I said before. While I do like the
library not breaking for minor purposes, I think that most "silent"
ignore of errors is bad. I'd like to see most of the calls to return
at least a boolean with Yes/No.

However I _REALLY DOUBT_ someone from core will have the time to go
through the API and change methods to use that, so we could find out a
newbie that wants to contribute, this is a good way to get started!
Someone would like to try? This also holds for bindings, at least
proto/python-efl would need to be adapted to check for such errors.

PS: Evas and some other parts have magic checks on library entry
points, they can be configured by setting MAGIC_DEBUG (on by default)
and then using env-vars EVAS_DEBUG_SHOW and EVAS_DEBUG_ABORT. So this
kind of check _IS_ already done in some parts of the code, is not
about blindly going and replace all functions to return Evas_Bool.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi