On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Jose Gonzalez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > PS.
>  >       Here's a distantly related issue though: One of the most common
>  > things that people want to do with images is to rotate them (possibly
>  > in a 3D perspective way), flip them, blur them, etc. How can one make
>  > it easy to express such things for evas image objs (with filters) via
>  > the api?
>  >
>  >       I'll give you my own partial answer to this as well - an answer
>  > that isn't really mine but rather is from a suggestion due to raster,
>  > and that is to:  Add a "fill policy" flag with two possible values,
>  > say FILL_POLICY_EXTEND and FILL_POLICY_SCALE.
>  >       The former (extend) is the current behavior, wherein an image
>  > is scaled to the specified fill size and then that fill extends (from
>  > the specified fill origin) to cover the image object size (repeating
>  > only for now), ie. image objects act like rectangles with the image
>  > itself as a fill pattern for the rect (the object region).
>  >
>  >       The latter (scale) fill policy will ignore any "fill" properties
>  > and instead the image will be scaled to fill the image object size,
>  > ie. the image object now acts like a surface which has the image
>  > scaled to fit.
>  >
>  >       This makes it very easy to deal with most uses of images where
>  > one wants to simply "transform an image in a certain way", and not
>  > worry about fill pattern sizes, transforms, extend modes, origins,
>  > and also object transforms - ie. when one wants an image obj to be
>  > like an image, not like a rect with an image as fill texture.
>  >       For example, if you wanted to say "rotate an image", or just
>  > "blur an image", ... then with the current semantics of image objs
>  > you'd have several ways of setting a filter on the image obj and/or
>  > on the fill, as well as setting particular fill sizes and origins
>  > and obj sizes... all cumbersome and inefficient.. one really just
>  > wants to transform or blur the image obj and be done with it - and
>  > that's what such a new fill policy would allow.. for image objects
>  > to behave like image surfaces (subject possibly first to a scaling
>  > of the image to the object size).
>  >

>       I should've added that such an addition is not, strictly
>  speaking, required... especially if one restricts filters/transforms
>  to be of "surface" types - it'd just make things a bit simpler and
>  more efficient for everyone.

Jose,

I'm running out of time to reply to all of these ideas, I expect to
get back some development time after the company I started start to
calm down on the "real world side" (we were getting infrastructure and
like, phone, network, ...).  But I really fear to loose all these
ideas. I know we have mail archive, but it would help a lot if one
(you, others) could move this to Wiki and do some structure, much like
Dresb and I did for some ideas. Then people can check when we're about
to start working on it.

What do you think?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri