On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Jorge Luis Zapata Muga
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Peter Wehrfritz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Jorge Luis Zapata Muga schrieb:
>>>
>>> Having a common agreement isnt easy but we should make one. Cedric
>>> ideas of providing a common API and just do some macros is useful, i
>>> agree that the structure of the code using might have to change, but
>>> either way a list API of any kind, is more or less common, you iterate
>>> over it with the next and prev and you get data, the rest is an
>>> extended API. A big effort has to be made from us to port everything
>>> on cvs to it, but one time or another this has to be done.
>>>

>> I don't think that an unification of the list APIs is possible. And even if,
>> we'd end up to change thousands of lines of stable code, which was tested
>> over many years. And that without any reasonable benefit.
>
> Here you'll find a simple implementation of ecore_dlist using
> evas_list as its backend
> http://code.google.com/p/efl-research/source/browse the module is
> called ee_list, you'll see that not every function is implemented but
> enough to see that there's no difference in the API or in the result.
> So in my opinion it is possible. IMHO Is not a problem of possibility
> but of will, if we want to have only one double linked list
> implementation we should do the effort. The benefits are several,
> beside consistency on the code, is good for newcomers, every time a
> new dev come around he asks what list/hash to use and what toolkit,
> etk/ewl ? (but a toolkit isnt core, data types are).

I would also add that it will improve memory profile as we will use
the same memory pool for all list.

>>> eina should be included into cvs, im ok with that, im kind of
>>> restrictive to indentation changes, but that's another matter :)
>>>
>>> In my opinion the first thing that should be done is add the svn code
>>> into cvs, then add your stringshare there and slowly port the rest,
>>> eet is a special case because it already has a release, so it should
>>> depend on another releasable code (eina) which isnt complete, so eet
>>> might have to be last one to be ported.
>>
>> Putting eina now into cvs doesn't help anyone at the moment. There are two
>> ways we can go:
>>
>> 1. First we start with a little lib, where we put step by step code into it,
>> we agree with that it belongs into the common lib. That's what I tried with
>> edt.
>> 2. We first discuss how the common lib needs to be en bloc and in detail and
>> then change eina to match the result of the discussion. And move it then
>> into cvs.
>>
>> It looks like most people here prefer the second way.

I will say we have a third option. Put a common lib in cvs now. Then
slowly move stuff around to the new system. With current work from
caro with Evas_Data.h we should be able to provide a set of macro that
will help do the move quickly. This move should not impact performance
at all (and looking at eina current code, I don't see how it could
change something regarding that).

--
Cedric BAIL