On 2-Aug-08, at 9:41 PM, Blake Barnett wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:53 PM, dan sinclair wrote:
>>
>> It all comes down to when you're doing the 2.0 release. If you do a
>> 2.0 release in a few months it looks like we just rushed a 1.0 out
>> the
>> door to say we had a 1.0. Major releases should last a few _years_.
>> If
>> we're seriously considering ripping out Embryo in a few _months_
>> that's a pretty good sign it isn't ready to be released yet.
>>
>> If we know we're going to rip out Embryo and we push out Edje with
>> Embryo scripting just to remove it in the next release it isn't going
>> to make people happy. They'll have to port all their themes to the
>> new
>> scripting language.
>>
>> We're better to wait until we have a foundation we want to work from
>> to get there.
>>

> Sorry, please take a reality check here.  E17 has been in development
> for nearly 10 years.  The libraries have been fairly stable feature-
> wise for ages.  Bite the bullet!  Release it.  Don't rip out embryo,
> add a CLR-like thing or something down the road if another language is
> absolutely necessary (which I think is really unlikely).  The
> development life-cycle of this project is non-existent, how do you
> know what's necessary without a broad user base demanding it?  It's
> good enough!  The EFL has been since Edje was written and Eet took
> over for Edb.

Sure, the EFL has been around for a while. That also implies people
have been using it for a while and possibly found issues with it.
Themers have already stepped up and said they've had issues with Embryo.

> Developers are horrible at making these decisions.  Maybe the folks at
> one of the commercial companies using E would be willing to donate the
> time of an actual product manager or something to help here.  As
> mentioned before a release manager is crucial, someone who can make
> mandates and have them followed.

Um, they can certainly try to set release schedules but unless that
company starts paying a bunch of EFL developers to do the code and get
it integrated they don't really mean anything.

dan