Just a small follow up on this question for those who are interested
in this topic.

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No, I'm not. What I want is to stop cooking things that are already
> done. Sometimes I really think that Mark Shuttleworth is right WRT
> time-based releases, man, this would make this project so good, SO
> GOOD that I can't even imagine. From the technical to the social side.

IMHO, I also like the idea of time-based releases. As a reference I'll
put up two examples that I think are nice:

1) http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Kernel_Release_Numbering_Redux

This is about the version numbering, but IMHO is essentially a
recognition from the developers (or at least Linus), that thinking
about 1.0, 1.2, 2.6.26 for Linux doesn't make much sense anymore. They
detached releases from features. If the new feature is ready for this
one, it goes in this release. If not, cook a bit more and appear in
the next.

2) https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList

Fedora is a Linux distribution. Here's a simplification of how it
works: they organize the releases by proposing new features (whoever
is going to hack propose them) for the release and keeping a status
about them. The ones that are 100% when it's freeze time are in. The
others not ready are moved back to proposed for the next release. I
guess what Ubuntu folks do is similar.

The "overhead" of releasing can be as simple as build some scripts to
bump stuff up and generate tarballs (btw, raster already has its
asparagus script that does something similar :-)...). Or am I missing
something here?[*]

Maybe people disagree on *what* should be called a "release"? Were the
asparagus snapshots "releases"? (maybe my understanding of "what is a
release" is too weak, I don't exclude that possibility)

Or even people disagree on where should we start with these time-boxed releases?

[*] btw, if you're wondering how could we do something like "let's
take this part out if not ready" in the code, branches can help you
with that, do the new features in "topic branches" and then integrate
to "main tree" when they are ok. You can even keep a tree up with all
those ongoing features, for people testing if you want (that's similar
to what people call "next" tree in some projects). But I'm really not
pushing git or anything here, I think this "cherry picking" of
features is less important right now than the other questions.

Cheers,
  Caio Marcelo