On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Nick Hughart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I still don't understand what about the BSD makes it not always free,
> you can't steal the code, the free code is always there.  Even if raster
> wanted to, he could not just up and close the code.  He would have to
> make a closed fork and develop it on his own or with others who agree to
> go that route.  In that same thread, I don't expect a company to pay
> their employees to just give away everything for free if they are truely
> adding some value to the code that the open source community either
> cannot or doesn't have the desire to.  Also, they will have a lot more
> time to add value since they are depending on the community to keep the
> base solid.  If they give back, that's great, but not all companies can
> afford to do this and some may just need some time to get on their feet
> before they give back.  The BSD license gives them this ability and
> offers them true freedom in their decisions and leaves the moral choice
> in their hands, not the hands of others.  A company that chooses to give
> back out of choice is better then one that gives back because they are
> required to do so IMO.

Some people don't want their code forked off and closed away and want
all contributions to come back. This is the difference.

> Also, by introducing an LGPL lib into the community to the point that
> our core BSD libs become dependent on it does hurt things.  It's always
> been the assumption that our core libs will be BSD from the bottom up.
> E17 is also licensed BSD.

This is a decision that was made around 10 years ago, we're working on
changing that.

> If the lib was not core we didn't worry all
> that much about the license used, at least as a community.  When it
> comes to the libs that we ship as our crowning achievements, having two
> licenses throughout is just going to drive companies insane.  It
> complicates all the legalities involved and they then have to be extra
> careful not to touch any LGPL lib code.  Also note how I said LGPL
> coming into the community and not LGPL in general.  Generally any LGPL
> lib we depend on now is an indirect dep of another lib we depend on that
> is generally BSD or otherwise similarly licensed (best I can tell
> anyway).  Some of the indirect deps like libC are not always GPL either
> as we are not (or should not) be dependent on a single implementation of
> this.  After having looked into this more heavily I'm now even more
> concerned by having an LGPL as an immediate dep of Evas and Ecore, two
> of our lowest level libraries.

No one expects anything to happen over the course of a single night,
week, or month. Its going to take some time, and we're going to keep
at it until its done.

--
Hisham Mardam Bey
http://hisham.cc/