Hi,
I have continued to investigate the slow performance of my edje project.

Of course you are right, there are many Evas_Objects and smart objects.
I updated to the 'calculate' patch that Gustavo committed. It works
wonders! Thanks, Gustavo. I'll apply one of Gustavos fixes if they are
deemed ok:
http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg18947.html
Also, now I don't need to do edje_freeze()/edje_thaw() when using
'calculate'.

I tried to optimize emitting "program,start" and "program,stop" to
supply the Edje_Program object directly instead of requiring extra
edje_match_programs_exec calls. Then I discovered that these signals are
just emitted in case anyone would be interested. I can't see that we
need this possibility so I removed the emitting of "program,start" and
"program,stop" altogether. This alone doubles the speed.

Enabling EDJE_PROGRAM_CACHE still gives some advantage it seems,
although not that dramatic when I avoid all "program,start" signals.

For the moment I think this is all I need. In total I've got 5-10 times
faster execution. If further needs arise, I have gained some insight in
what to look at.

Thanks again,
Anders Petersson